Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Poem: "I've Been Down..."

I’ve been down in a warren of red lights
Like trenches from the First World War
Shut away from the city above
In a crisis of love.

I’ve turned those corners and held my breath,
Looking right and looking left,
Heart-shaped tubs and pixy dust,
Proud artillery turned to rust.

I’ve been down there,
Seen where they sleep,
Seen their toilet, their canteen,
Seen their photos, black and white,
As I crept under the cloak of night.

Now, these rabbit burrows that I’ve found,
I tell you sure were underground.
But by day I've seen another light.

I've seen mothers and daughters
Folding sheets
And laughing happily,
Shaking pillows, rosy cheeks...

I've seen children playing in the street,
Climbing bars and climbing trees,
Eating cake and eating sweets.

And observed it all with wonderment.

But those rabbit burrows, they call me still
And still I’ll go and get my fill.
I get for some it will disgust
But there are moments still of tenderness.

And if you want one day, you can
Take my hand, I'll take you down
And you will see just how it is
And you will see
How the brave live.

No comments: