Saturday, March 02, 2019

Poem: "Intravenous"

After I finish a piece of writing, I'm usually not satisfied with it. There's always something that could've been better -- some transition that could've been smoother or some detail that could've been more vivid. Rarely do I ever say, "Wow, OK, well, that's perfect!"

However, I was very satisfied with the poem below after having completed it. Particularly, I was happy with how I blended the negative with the positive and how I managed to evoke pathos, which is hard to do, I think.

Anyway, here's the piece. I wrote it a couple weeks ago. Enjoy.

I usually have my heart to help me cut through the static.
But this racket is awful, bewildering, cruel.
It makes mice out of men
And men into fools.
I'm mainlining poison
That happens to cure.
Doctors swear by this stuff
But me, I’m not sure.

I long only for easy
Days of the past
When the smile you had
Would last and last
And you’d open your heart at every turn
And your kisses would burn.

But a door has closed
And all I got’s this IV
And it’s saving me
And killing me
Simultaneously.

No comments: