Tuesday, March 26, 2019

"The Messenger"

A question that two of my friends and I often pose to each other -- friends with whom I occasionally play music -- is this: What song do you wish you wrote? In the past I said "Time of Your Life" by Green Day. I love it for its simplicity and its ability to reach many, many people.

Another song that I wish I wrote is the one below, "The Messenger" by Linkin Park. Again, stupid simple: the song only has four chords, which repeat over and over: G, D, Em, C. The chords honestly couldn't be more easy. But it's not about the chords. The chords are almost an afterthought in this song -- they're just a matrix, a vehicle. The power of the song rests on the lyrics and the vocal performance.

So here it is, "The Messenger," a song I wish I had written.


No comments: