Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Poem: "Last Night Was a Full Moon"

Last night was a full moon
I didn’t know until
I shut the lights to go to bed
And I could see still.
The light poured through the window
So I craned my neck
And saw that shiny quarter 
From right there in my bed.

Last night was a full moon
And I had some crazy dreams.
Instead of being in the grave
My old cat was just 19.
We all gaped in sheer amazement 
That this cat had grown so old
In the place she’d always been: 
Right under our nose.

But there was more and it disturbed
I dreamed proud animals were
The victims of some maniac
He used them for his work.
He fused them all together
Like some grotesque centipede
Then lobotomised them all
And marched them in the streets.

But the creepiest of all
Was a dream about a painting
’Cause the author of the work 
Was a man named John Wayne Gacy.
Yes, the “Killer Clown”
Had made the piece for me
And sicker even still
Had packed it carefully. 
Layer and then layer of
Tissue I removed
To see what forms were issued by
The sick hand of the ghoul. 

I woke up in a sweat, forget it 
My legs were morning dew.
The full moon up above was gone
Or to my eye it was. 

No comments: