Saturday, February 23, 2019

Happy Friend-A-Versary

Happy friend-a-versary, Maya!

Twelve years ago today, around 9 p.m., I had just exited the A train at 59th Street and Columbus Circle, near Central Park West, and was on my way to meet a friend at the mall inside the Time Warner building. To get there, I had to cross Broadway. But the light was red and I had to wait. Also waiting to cross the street at this very moment were two girls, one with brown hair, the other with blonde, and they were speaking German. Because I had taken German in college for four semesters, and because I was in a good mood, I decided to say something to them -- in German. They both smiled, because what I must have said was probably wrong, but all three of us immediately started talking (in English) and continued to do so for about 15 minutes. The girl with brown hair was named Anika, and the girl with the blonde hair, Maya. Maya wound up being my girlfriend for 10 years, until 2017, and is the reason why I moved to Germany.

On the phone with her this morning, when I jokingly mentioned that today would have been our 12-year anniversary, she said, "Happy friend-a-versary!"

Well, to you, too!

No comments: