Sunday, February 24, 2019

Marina

Everyone likes to hear praise. And I'm no exception. After I have written something and someone tells me it’s good, that makes me happy. Sometimes people highly praise what I've written or say something very personal about it, and that brings me even to another level of happiness. And why not? I don’t write in some kind of vacuum. I don’t just write for myself. I want other people to like it. Not always, but usually.

Well, the other day, I wrote a poem for a friend of mine, Marina. And that’s what she is, a good friend. So I thought I would write her a poem. Because her name is "Marina," and a "marina" is a place where boats are kept, I saw a water connection and ran with it. When, after reading the poem, she wrote to me, "Never in my life have I gotten such a lovely poem," I was brought to that other level of happiness. And I'm not ashamed to say so.

Marina with the ocean name
And are those waters blue
With flowers in her hair she shares
A tender word or two.
She's wise beyond her years and yet
Her spirit's young and true
With flowers in her basket she's
Picked a bunch for you.
She's thought of you, her heart is big
Just like the ocean blue
Aqua, azure, turquoise, green, and other earthly hues. 

No comments: