Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Geeky Stuff


Solved!

For the longest time I had not known if the first letter of a sentence fragment after an ellipsis was capitalized or not. Today I got the answer.

Story: I was reading "Catcher in the Rye" and there it was, in chapter 24. Holden is talking with a former teacher of his, Mr. Antolini, in Mr. Antolini's aparmtment, and Mr. Antolini makes some kind of a joke about his wife's friends. It's not a funny joke; I didn't even get it, but it answered my capitalization question. Check it out:

"Excuse the appearance of the place," he said. "We've been entertaining some Buffalo friends of Mrs. Antolini's . . . Some buffaloes, as a matter of fact."

Boom. There it was. The word "some" starts with a capital letter and that is a sentence fragrant right, there, sir.

I can die happy now!

No comments: