Thursday, May 23, 2019

Story: "The Pink Shoelaces"

I wrote the following short story, which is true, in the fall of 2006. It needs no introduction. If you knew Jason Butler, you will really appreciate this story. Enjoy. 


“The Pink Shoelaces”
By Chad Smith

            I was about sixteen years old at the time, maybe fifteen. You know what it’s like to be that age: you’re confused, you’ve got a lot of energy and you really don’t know where to focus it. But I managed; we all do, right?
            It was my junior year of high school and I had abandoned my old friends – they were too busy doing drugs. Not for me. I remember I started to dress differently. I always loved art and was creative, but my taste for clothes up until that point had been pretty generic. At fifteen – sixteen? – though, I threw myself headlong into painting, the arts and skateboarding, and it was all reflected in the clothes I wore. I’d draw on my jeans with paint marker or I’d throw on old, random T-shirts and wear silver rings. I didn’t stand out desperately, but I got noticed.
            One weekend around this time, I bought a pair of Adidas: navy ones with white signature stripes on the side. I bought them because I wanted to paint the three Adidas signature stripes different colors. White was too boring. I remember right after having bought the sneakers, I headed back to my house, took out my paint markers and colored the three stripes orange, yellow and red, respectively.
            But something still was missing. 
            The shoes, though livelier, still didn’t look the way I had envisioned. It was the shoelaces. The ones the shoes came with just didn’t fit the look. So I replaced them the next day. The color I decided on, pink, was kind of unusual. I liked it, though. I could care less if anyone thought it was weird or feminine or whatever – I liked these laces. 
            Anyway, wearing these Adidas with the pink laces in science class the next day, I sat there, bored, waiting for the teacher to arrive.
In this particular class, which was Marine Biology, we students didn’t have individual seats. Because most of the work in the course was done with a partner, we sat at desks made for just two people. The person who happened to be sitting next to you, then, by default, was your partner in all the assignments.
            My partner that year was Jason Butler. Jason, a senior, was a friendly, charismatic kid. He was the type of kid everyone knew and wanted to be friends with.
When I was a freshman, I once saw Jason at a house party. Unsurprisingly, at this party he didn’t just mingle like everyone else. Instead, he walked into the master bedroom of the house and decided to jump from its window into a pool two stories below. As he stood there on the ledge, a few people sitting around the pool taunted him, “You won’t do it! You won’t do it!” A moment later, though, those same people were soaked by the giant splash.
            But I digress. Back to the science class. Before I had arrived there that day, some of my old friends had been giving me shit about my pink shoelaces, calling me “twinkle-toes” or whatever. One of my old friends even said I was wearing “Barbie boots.” I could’ve cared less, though. Yeah, but at least I’m somewhat original, I had thought. No, their comments hadn’t bothered me at all – until, that was, I got to class. 
            There, it started to gnaw at me: Who did these kids think they were? They haven’t said anything to me for months, and now they only speak to me when it’s to make fun of me?
I started to get angry. I started thinking about all the times I had done them favors or revealed something personal or simply been a good friend. I felt betrayed.
            When the teacher finally did arrive, he told us to take out our lab equipment. But I was really in no mood to do work after the encounter I had just had. I remember wondering where Jason was. After a couple minutes, though, he finally walked in. He was late and, characteristically, he was cool about it. He walked in with his good friend, Bobby. Funny enough, while the two were taking their seats, they were still flirting with some girls in the hallway, gesturing at them through the window of the class door. After an exasperated look from the teacher, though, they stopped.
            “What do we have to do today?” J.B. asked me. That was his nickname, J.B. “I don’t know,” I told him, “study some fish bones, I guess.” I pointed to the assignment. He turned to me and smiled, “I’m not doing jack. I’m actually gonna try and sneak out of here once everyone gets settled.” I just looked at him and snickered, “Don’t get caught.”   
            However, J.B. didn’t sneak out of class that day. Actually, he sat there the entire period and did his work. At some point – I think it was after he finished the task and was just leaning back in his chair – he noticed my sneakers.
            “Nice shoelaces,” he said. I looked over at him and thought he was joking. But there was no sarcasm there. “Are you serious?” I asked. “Yeah,” he said, “they’re different...I like them.”
             I thanked him and went back to my work. But I took Jason’s comments to heart. He made me feel – with that brief statement – that I was doing something right. He made me feel as if I were on the right track. It no longer mattered what my old friends had said to me: I was coming into my own – with or without them.

* * *

            Junior year of high school came to a close in early June. Summer came and went, and in September I began my first week back at high school as a senior. What a milestone, right?
            One afternoon, after having left my English class to go to math, I noticed a commotion at the end of the hallway. Two girls were crying, and many students were staring at them. Leigh, one of the girls crying, looked in bad shape: her face was a deep red and her eyes were closed tightly, but tears were still escaping,  even falling off her face. Something was desperately wrong.
            Jason was in the E.R; there had been an accident. He and a friend were near our town’s community college, which they had recently begun. Jason had stepped out of the car to cross the street and get a pack of cigarettes, but instead of making it there, a semi-trailer truck slammed into him. The driver attempted to brake, but it made little difference. Leigh was one of J.B.’s good friends, and she had just come from seeing him in the hospital. She said he didn’t even look like himself: the swelling was too severe. Later that day, we heard he was brain dead.
            Jason’s parents, now, were faced with a horrible decision – when to take him off life support.
            I couldn’t believe what was going on. This was it. J.B. wasn’t going to laugh about the whole situation another day. He wasn’t going to recount what had happened in any anecdote about how he had almost gotten hit by a truck. This was it.
            The next day at school, in every corridor, around every turn, there were hushed voices or simply there was silence. Such quiet in the normally bustling halls said a lot about the gravity of the situation. It was as though everyone knew what everyone else was thinking, but no one knew how to make sense of it.
            And then we found out: Jason’s parents took him off life support that morning.

* * *

            I didn’t go to the funeral, but I wish I had. Although I was never that close to J.B., I wish I could’ve gone and said goodbye to the kid who made me feel a little stronger during a vulnerable time. It was crazy, after the funeral I heard of a few tiffs between groups of students, arguing about who had more of a “right” to be upset and who didn’t have any “right” at all. People were already saying that some underclassman saw the ceremony more like a social event. I don’t think that’s true. People were upset and were just looking for someone or something to blame.
            It’s weird to think back to that time, you know? It’s weird to think I had been friendly with J.B. during his final year. I’d like to think that his spirit lives on, but who really knows. One thing’s for certain, though: Jason, and what he said to me that day in Marine Biology, left me with an impression that will be with me for a long time – forever maybe.

###

No comments: