Monday, July 02, 2018

trick

You know, it's amazing the reactions you get from people sometimes.

Yesterday, over dinner, I had wanted to show my girlfriend a type of magic trick. It didn't involve playing cards but it was a cool trick nonetheless, one I had seen David Blaine perform and thought really cool.

Before I tell you any more, though, here it is:

Think of dessert. Don't think of ice-cream or anything like that, like any dessert you might have at home. Think of a dessert you can imagine ordering at a restaurant, like tiramisu... Got it...? OK, now think of the last letter of that desert. Do you have that letter in your mind? OK, now think of a breakfast food that begins with that letter. Got that too...? OK, now think of the second letter in that breakfast food. Got it? Good, now think of an instrument that begins with that letter.

Are you thinking of a guitar?

Now, this trick worked on me. When I watched David Blaine do it on YouTube, I indeed thought of a guitar and was thoroughly freaked out. But yesterday, after I did the trick on my girlfriend and she said, yes, that indeed she was thinking of a guitar, she showed no real surprise whatsoever. Instead, she said her answer all had to do with statistics. She then tried to dismantle the trick from every angle and to show why she knew she had been led to choose what she had chosen.

Now, granted, her reaction might have had to do with the fact that after she said yes, that she was thinking of a guitar, I basically yelled in her face, "Ha ha! See! I told you I could do magic!" But still. It's just interesting the reactions you get from people.

No comments: