Friday, November 02, 2018

Life is Poetry

Sometimes life is poetry. That's all I really have to say. It's something I've always believed. In fact, I think that some of the best art is just reality, a little dolled up. The best art is reality, or truth, whatever you want to call it, just made a little more beautiful, a little more glossy...edited a little more.

Below is an example, in a way, of what I'm talking about. It's an email I sent to my mom today. I'm not going to explain what the background to this email was; I'm simply not in the mood. Just have a read, and I think you'll easily get what's going on and what might have gone on. I hope you like what I wrote. Really, it's just reality, only a little more polished.

Chad Smith chadreidsmith@gmail.com

1:11 PM (9 hours ago)
to mom
Now that it's had some time to marinate...how good is that song "One More Light" by Linkin Park!  I mean, wow, talk about substance. And the words match the melody so well, don't you think!

I also think it's really clever and pretty awesome how, when you first read the title of the song, "One More Light," you're sort of inclined to think "one more light" as in, "Hey, let's just have one more party" or "Give me one more light" or "There's just one more light that's on." I think we, as in the audience, tend to think, initially at least, that the words "one more" are being used to convey "an additional." 

But then, when we learn in the song that something is actually being taken away -- "Who cares if one more light goes out?" -- and that the words "one more" are really being used to convey "any ordinary"...  well, I think all of that is just all really poetic and beautiful. Again, what do you think?
--me

P.S. In case you're wondering (and I'm pretty sure you are) if I put a lot of effort into this email, I did. It took me a while to write. lol. 

No comments: