Friday, August 24, 2018

Bloody Mary


Remember that myth about Bloody Mary? Supposedly, if you stood in front of a darkened mirror and repeated the name “Bloody Mary” 13 times, an evil spirit would be called up. 

This myth, which I had learned about as a kid, always freaked me out, and I was never able to bring myself to say "Bloody Mary" more than a few times in front of a darkened mirror. 

Which makes me think that I must have been feeling especially brave in a dream I had last night.

When it opened, I was standing in the bedroom of my childhood home, looking into one of the two large mirrors hanging on one of the walls. For some reason, I was annoyed and felt like just testing the gods. I looked in the mirror and started saying, “Bloody Mary! Bloody Mary! Bloody Mary!”

Suddenly, the room  became a little darker and a wind started to whip a curtain that was behind me, but the strangest thing was that I started to feel a squeezing sensation on my hand.

"Oh no," I  thought to myself, "a squeezing sensation on my hand after I just changed Bloody Mary?! That can't be good."

Then I woke up. It was pitch black in my bedroom and the sensation that I had felt in my dream was actually my girlfriend. She had been squeezing my hand, trying to coax me out the dream. I don't remember much else, but I remember that she had also mumbled something in a soothing way as she gripped my hand. Phew.

The funny thing is, this morning I asked her if she remembered waking me up last night and she said she didn’t.

No comments: