Friday, January 20, 2017

I Just Emailed to Say...

One thing that my mom and I have in common is that we both like words. She was an English teacher and has a master's in American Literature and just really appreciates the well crafted poem, story, sentence. So sometimes, I write to her, telling her things that I like and asking her opinion on them and then we discuss it. Sometimes, I hear things, songs, maybe an article, that she likes and then point her in the direction of it. Anyway, below is an email I wrote to her recently, telling her about a song I've rediscovered and a section of it that I thought she would particularly like. I thought the email was interesting enough to post. I hope you do too.

Hi Ma,

I just wanted to write to you because I heard something the other day that I thought you would like too.
Because I've been very much into song writing lately, I've been very conscious of how songs are structured/their lyrics.
Anyway, did you ever realize how nice the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You" is?
What's interesting is that for the entire verses, he's saying reasons why he is NOT calling. For example: "No New Years Day to Celebrate ...  No first of spring ... No flowers bloom," etc. I thought that was a nice paradoxical twist.
But I'm actually brining this song to your attention because I thought you'd particularly like the second verse, which starts, "No summer's high."
I'll reproduce the rest of the verse here, but I suggest you listen to the song first, then look at the lyrics. 
Let me know what you think!
-me
No summer's high 
No warm July
No harvest moon to light one tender August night
No autumn breeze
No falling leaves
Not even time for birds to fly to southern skies
 




No comments: