Sunday, March 10, 2019

Dumbest Purchase Ever.

I’ve made some dumb purchases in my life. I think we all have. There was that one time I bought Nike sneakers for 130 euros even though I had prior evidence that Nike shoes hurt my feet. There was that other time when I bought this resistance rope because I thought I would work out at home with it and never did.

But I think my dumbest purchase ever came the other day when I was in a sports store here in Hamburg. I was about to go to a sports class -- maybe Pilates or something -- and I needed a change of socks. Now, normally, I just would have bought three pairs of socks for something like 5 euros and been done with it.

But no. I had to get fancy. So I wandered into the store's Running section. There, they had all kinds of  socks: reflective socks, socks for breathability, socks for special support. And all these socks had very "special" prices, too. Yeah, I’m talking, like, 15 euros for one pair.

Still, I thought to myself, "Hey, I’ve been working out a lot more; I’m more athletic now. Maybe it’s time to up my sock game."

So I grabbed a pair made especially for breathability and comfort. It was a pack of two pairs, and the price was 20 euros. Which, of course, is already eye-watering. But I thought, "OK, 10 euros per pair, that’s ridiculously expensive, but let’s see...maybe they’ll help somehow."

So I went to the cash register and paid.

And then...

And then after my workout, I noticed that it wasn’t two pair in there -- it was one!

One pair of socks for 20 euros? That’s, like, 25 dollars. A pair of white sports socks for 25 dollars? Are you fucking kidding me?

And guess what? They felt like normal socks.

Dumbest. Purchase. Ever.

Post Script: These expensive socks do have an “L” on the left foot and an “R” on the right foot. So maybe that’s the value I was paying for?


No comments: