Sunday, August 05, 2018

Bzzzzzz



Here is a story:

Yesterday as I was lying in bed, getting ready to go to sleep, I heard a noise coming from a lamp I had on at the far end of my room. Upon closer look, I saw a small shadow knocking around inside the shade. I thought that a moth was in there, as moths are attracted to light.  But it was actually a wasp.

This revelation didn’t bother me. I don’t mind wasps. On my balcony there is a wasps' nest and I often find myself marveling at the industriousness of these little creatures, which all day long fly in and out of an opening that leads to their domicile. I figured I would just leave the wasp alone and let it find its way out of its predicament.

And then I heard a droning noise by my head. Inside the shade of the lamp on the nightstand next to me was another wasp. I was a little more concerned here. I mean, I like wasps, but it’s a little disconcerting to have one right by your head when you want to sleep.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to do. Could I possibly help the winged insects out somehow? Usually, when a spider is in my apartment, I just trap it with a cup and throw it outside. But these were wasps.

And then I had an idea.

I got up and shut the lamp on the far end of my room and then shut the lamp on my nightstand. My room now was completely dark. For a few moments I heard droning but not after long it was silent.

No comments: